"Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."
Leviticus 19:28
This scripture shows much controversy in the beliefs of believers today. I also know that some may not agree with this blog but this is just what I believe and what I feel is how things are these days. One thing I learned in college is that the Bible is interpreted many different ways. People pick and choose scriptures they want to adhere to or not. Another thing I learned is that the Bible was written in a specific culture.
Not saying that it cannot be interpreted and apply to our culture today but the culture it was written for and in is not the culture we live in right now. In today's culture tattoo's have a different meaning. To some, a tattoo is made in remembrance of someone or something. To some a tattoo is a mark of who they are and claim to be. I know many strong believers who have tattoo's that make a statement of faith. A couple friends of mine have scriptures on their feet, or a cross on their back or shoulder. I asked one of my close friends Jenna who is basically my sister why she got the tattoo's she has. She said,
"I think it's easy for anyone to just go and get a tat because they find something that looks 'cute' ... I mean, how many stars and hearts do you see everywhere? I'm very thoughtful in what I choose because of their permanency... They serve as reminders of who I am, where I've been and where I'm going. I have a NOTW (Not Of This World) tat on the back of my leg.... And is a subtle way to witness- and also keeps me accountable!"
I myself want to get a tattoo on my foot with the words 'Walk by Faith' which comes from my life verse 2 Corinthians 5:7 which claims "For we walk by faith and not by sight." My question is, how could that not be or show glory to God for bringing me through my journey with Him through faith?
Our culture today is all about repping or representing what we love or what we are passionate about. Tattoos have become an expression of who we are. There are some who just get tattoos to get them. But for most, it's an expression of love, hope, faith and their personal walk and journey. These words like love, hope and faith are attributes God asks us to share and show to others. We as believers have a message of hope.
Much like my girl Jenna who uses her tats as a subtle way to witness to those, who may see it and ask her about it. As believers our tattoos proclaim that message of hope and our faith. It's a message to the world of who we are and the victories God himself brought us through. It is our soul tattoo and mark. The Bible says in Matthew that God has called us to make disciples of all people and nations. It is really difficult to just walk up to someone and ask them if they wanna know Jesus. But the tattoo's of victory on the body of Believers is that key to opening the door. Just like Jesus opens the door for us.
Acts 13:47 ESV
"For so the Lord has commanded us, saying, “‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’”
Revelation 3:20 ESV
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me."
Never doubt the marks that God has made on your life. Proclaim it trite and true and use it for God's glory. God has brought everyone through their own journey. If you choose to leave an outward permanent mark of that journey as a tool to bring others to Christ, do it. Be proud of it. Stand tall in faith and make disciples through your testimony of faith. Wear your soul tattoo proudly, just like Jesus bore the holes that were nailed into him and the blood he shed for us all out of love.
Here is a site of other Believer's story and the soul tattoo and mark they share with others. Some stories are amazing. If you want to take a look here's the link.
http://heckyeahchristiantattoos.tumblr.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment