Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fighting Personal Demons

I’ll be upfront and honest with you guys right away. I have been fighting my own personal demons lately.  Things from my past creeping back up again as they have laid dormant for a while, but always lingering somewhere. These things that damaged me in a lot of ways, that God has miraculously healed me from are Satan’s way of creeping back into my head and making me battle it all over again. I am thankful for the Lord’s healing in my life, but at some point I knew they may creep back up as my insecurities come back to light. There is no reason for me to feel insecure especially now. I have been blessed with someone who has broken down walls inside of me that I knew they would eventually. I am thankful for this person and overwhelmed by their love for me. In times like these I hit my Word, the Word of God that brings life to all.

The Word says, 

 “Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” – Romans 15:4 (NIV)

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.” – Isaiah 43:18 (NIV)

“Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5:8 (NASB)

In the 70’s there was a Christian music artist named Keith Green wrote a song entitled “No One Believes Me Anymore (Satan’s Boast)”. It is a true, ‘hippie’ sounding song but the words are powerful. His lyrics say,

“I [Satan] used to have to sneak around. But now they just open their doors.  No one’s looking for my tricks because no one believes in me anymore.”

These lyrics stunned me and made me realize the truth inside of it. Satan uses our past, our minds, and our emotions to manipulate us, break us down and destroy us. John 10:10a says, “The thief (Satan) comes only to steal and kill and destroy.”  He knows he can get to us in our weaknesses. Demons of the past can be a weakness and Satan uses it and other vises to get to the very heart of all our insecurities that the Lord has already had victory over.

The opposition is real. Don’t let the enemy steal back what was already won by Christ. Your chains are gone and you have freedom from it. When Jesus ascended into Heaven he didn’t leave without giving us hope and encouragement. He gave us a gift of The Holy Spirit, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” - John 14:26-27 (ESV)

And through the Apostle Paul he gave us a word and through this word He gives us strength.

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.” –Ephesians 6:10-18 (ESV)

The enemy is real, his hatred for us is real. We need to be able to fight against whatever He may throw at us. We have victory through Christ. Christ has overcome the grave and has won over Him. Do not give the enemy a foothold into your heart, minds or emotions. Don’t let your past become a crutch and a tool Satan can use. Stand firm, have faith and know you have the victory. I hope this encourages you as it has me. You are not alone. Stand in victory and strength today, you will overcome.


No comments: