Sunday May 8th, 2011
Today is Mother’s Day. It’s easy to pinpoint the things that you love about your Mom. You can look at her and see the ways you’re alike or not. My Mom and I have a real special relationship. Her and I are so close that she’s pretty much my best friend. We are alike in so many ways that we are mistaken for each other all the time. Even on the phone I have to make sure to say that it’s me on the phone because we sound so much alike. My Mom is pretty much amazing. There aren’t really words to describe my Mom fully because there are so many to count. She’s really indescribable. I just love her so much.
So in lieu of Mother’s Day I’m reminded of the amazing Mother’s in the Bible. The two that stick out to me the most is Mary mother of Jesus and Hannah the mother of Samuel. Both women tremendously amazing in their own ways. Mary was chosen by God to bear His son Jesus. She went through many trials during that time as she was a virgin who became pregnant before her marriage to Joseph. In those days you were shamed and even stoned to death for such an act. But she was God’s chosen one and he protected her from all that could have come. She gave birth to Jesus and took care of him. Nurtured him, watched him grow, nursed his wounds when he fell down. She was his Mother and she did her job well. But she also had to endure one of the biggest trials a Mother could ever imagine to go through. She had to watch her son Jesus be crucified on a cross and die. She watched him suffer, be beaten, and scarred for the sins of mankind. But she never left. She could have but she didn’t. She loved him enough to watch this all unfold. Why do you think she did that? Well, I think it’s because she wanted him to know that she was there, as a comfort to him maybe. Then, when Jesus was on the cross he looked at Mary and told her to behold her son who was James, and for James to behold his Mother.
“When Jesus saw his mother standing there beside the disciple he loved, he said to her, “Dear woman, here is your son.” And he said to this disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from then on this disciple took her into his home.” John 19:26-27
I think Jesus wanted Mary to know that he hadn’t forgotten her faithfulness and love so he made sure that she knew she’d be taken care of. Mothers are so amazing and they never get the gratitude they deserve. We all have moments where we disrespect them and cop and attitude, but it’s days like these where we can reflect on how great they are. Hannah to me was also a mother who sacrificed q lot for her son Samuel. Hannah desired to have children but she was barren. She wanted a child so bad that she went to the Tabernacle to pray to God. She was in such anguish that the priest Eli thought she was drunk because she was praying and he couldn’t hear her. She prayed to God and told Him that if He gave her a son or a child that she would dedicate their life to Him and she’d give Him to God for his whole life. God honored her prayer and gave her a son whom she named Samuel. When Samuel came of age she brought him to the priest Eli and told him her promise to God that she would give her son to Him for his entire life. So Eli took Samuel in as his own.
Can you imagine what Hannah must have felt? She prayed in deep anguish and desire to have a child, but when she finally got one she gave him up to the Lord and sacrificed in a way. She let go of having the joys of raising this child and nurturing him, having him all to herself. But she didn't get that. She could have told God “No, I just can’t! I finally have a son and I can’t give him up!” But she didn’t! She kept her promise to God like He did to her and gave Samuel to the Lord for him to serve him with His life. Samuel became the man who anointed King David to become King! I bet Hannah never thought her cherished son would have such a future. He probably wouldn’t have if she didn’t give him to the Lord like she promised.
Mother’s get overlooked often, and I know I too overlook how much my Mom gives to me and how much she means to me. She really is an amazing woman of God that I am so lucky to have as my own Mom. I’m proud to call her my Mom. All the people who come in contact with her are blessed beyond measure because of the way she loves people. She loves people like Jesus does, unconditionally, sacrificially and with all that she has in her. Don’t forget to honor your Mother not just today, but every day you can because she deserves it on more than one occasion.
No comments:
Post a Comment