Saturday, April 30, 2011

Faith

I’m sitting here at a picnic table on Coeur D’Alene lake. It’s cold, but so peaceful. I didn’t plan to come here because of the weather, but when I got to Starbucks it was packed with no comfortable place to sit. So I went by Dutch Bro’s instead and got a coffee and came here. I find the waves calming. I’m reminded of my last blog entry about Peter walking on the water. I can’t help but wonder what it must have been like. In saying that, the word faith seems to be my word lately. I even found a keychain that says ‘faith’ and I put it on my key ring. So because of that I decided to do a word study on the word faith. (Dr. B would be proud) lol!

In STRONGS CONCORDANCE it says that the definition of the word faith in Greek is πίστεως = pisteuo (pist-yoo'o) from 4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by implication, to entrust (especially one's spiritual well-being to Christ):--believe(-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

The first definition to have faith in, upon, or with respect to a person or thing. We as followers of Christ we should have such a high regard for God, which is why we put our faith in Him. The second to entrust especially one’s spiritual well-being. Which is why God asks us to put our faith in Him because he wants our spiritual well-being in all aspects of our spiritual walk with Him. Last definition being a believer, committed, to put in trust with. This is exactly why God calls us to have faith as believers. If you believe in something, you don’t doubt it, you have faith in it! So you put your trust in it or the person. My best friend Becca is a good example of that. Her and I are so close, we trust each other, we believe in each other, we have faith in each other and our relationship. Months can go by without us seeing each other or spending time with each other and once we’re reunited together it’s like we just saw each other the day before. We should think about our relationship with God in the same way. You may not spend a lot of time with Him, and months can go by but once you’re reunited with Him in his presence it’s like you just had coffee with him the day before. That’s why we as followers of Christ believe in Him and have so much faith in Him.

If we don’t trust him and put our faith in him, there’s no point in having a relationship with God. It wouldn’t be real. You’d just be going through the motions and that isn’t enough!

Hebrews 11:6

“And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” ESV

God desires a relationship with you like the relationship you have with your best friend. If you think about God in that regard I think it’d be easier to spend time with him. I’ve learned this since December. I’ve been through a lot of hardships since then and I found myself going down a dark road as grief took hold of me. But I realize that when I spend time with God, I feel so much better. I feel encouraged, rejuvenated, joyful and positive. (Which is how I feel when I’m spending time with Becca.) So you see, it’s so much more than just going through the motions. Take the time to have a real relationship with God and I promise you, your life will be and feel so much better. But again, it’s your choice. I made it and I feel a lot better. I don’t feel like the world is over and that I’m in a pit of despair all the time. I’m laughing more, I’m a lot more positive, and I’m looking at life a whole new way! God has that effect on people. *wink* So give it a try! What have you got to lose? [[]]





No comments: