Wednesday, April 27, 2011

“Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?” – Matthew 14:29-31

I don’t know what it is about this story in the Bible but it always grabs me. I always come back to how amazing it must have been for Peter walk on water! Can you imagine? Walking on top of the water and not sinking!? It would be an exhilarating feeling I would think. I wonder what Peter must have been feeling as he is walking on water! But you gotta look at it another way as well. He was walking on water as long as his eyes were fixed on Jesus and his faith in GOD not himself was on point. We see in the scriptures that as soon as he doubted Jesus and took his eyes off of Him, he began to sink and the water consumed him. Peter was known as the ‘chief disciple’ of Jesus’ 12. He was Jesus’ number one guy, which goes to show we all can stumble and start to sink at any given time. We aren’t perfect, far from actually and even though we take our eyes off of Him, he’s there to pick us up and bring us out of it.

He knows we’re gonna mess up and take our eyes off Him at some point, but he still loves us regardless. Peter has been on my mind since Easter when my Pastor brought to life what the trial of Jesus and everything that happened with that from Peter’s perspective. Peter said at the last supper that he would die for Jesus, and put his life on the line for him. As any loyal and trustworthy friend would do for us. Peter couldn’t believe and even fathom the thought of denying the one He knew to be the Messiah, let alone deny him three times! He thought what Jesus was saying sounded crazy! Which is why he told Jesus that he would die for him, rather than deny him. But that didn’t go the way Peter thought it would. When Jesus was arrested Peter put to action his promise to protect and die for the Messiah. But when he did, Jesus basically shamed him.

“Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. With that, one of Jesus’ companions (who was Peter) reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?” – Matthew 26:50-53

At that point I’m sure Peter thought “Um yeah! So where are they! Call them down!!” I can imagine that Peter must have been stunned, and confused but more was yet to come. As Jesus was taken before the Sanhedrin and they were questioning him Peter stuck close outside, three people approached them proclaiming that they knew he was one of the disciples, and three times he denied it. After the third denial his eyes locked with Jesus’ and he suddenly realized all he had just done. Can you imagine? I know I couldn’t. Grief and guilt must have begun to consume him, which is why he left and went back to being a fisherman. Now stay with me here cause I know I’m writing a lot. So Jesus was sacrificed, hung on a cross for our sins, and the rest is history. My point is right here. Peter went back to fishing and being a fisherman because he must have thought that he wasn’t good enough for Jesus to die for him, he didn’t feel like he deserved it, much like we do sometimes. But this is where my point is. After Jesus rose again he appeared to his disciples but he focuses on Peter…

“When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!” – John 21: 15-19

Peter denied Jesus three times, and then when Jesus saw him again He asked Peter three times do you love me? Connection being he was kinda reinstating Peter with Him. Showing him that all was forgiven and that he was worthy of the sacrifice Jesus made, and He showed Peter the plans and potential of greatness that He had right in front of him. After Jesus went up to heaven Peter led and preached the amazing outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost in Acts chapter 2. I’m sure at that point Peter never thought of all that God had planned for his life. Jesus knew Peter’s potential! He knows us that well. We tend to not feel worthy enough for the same sacrifice but Jesus steps in and seeks us out because He knows that He died for us, and that he wasn’t sacrificed in vain. Much like Peter, he KNOWS that the plans He has for our lives are full of potential and full of life and amazingness. But in order for that to happen we must seek Him as well. In any relationship it’s a two way street.

“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” – Jeremiah 29:13

But like I said, it does go both ways… which is why God makes it clear that He too wants us and wants us to seek him.

“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.” – Revelation 3:20

God is there, he will help us like he did Peter when he started sink. He sacrificed himself for us, because he loves us. This is something I myself have needed to hear and swallow. It hasn’t been easy, but truth hits ya sometimes and it’s those time where even though it hits you so hard, you need to hear it.

No comments: