"Above all else, guard your HEART for it is the
wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:23
For many years I have been given this scripture and in
my own life it has become one of my "life" scriptures. You may wonder
why this is so important. The word "guard" is defined as 'watch over
in order to protect and or control'. "Wellspring" is defined as 'an
original and bountiful source of something'. So this scripture states that we
need to watch over and protect the bountiful source of our very being.
Our hearts are the core of our being. When we are sad,
when we are heartbroken it interrupts our lives in a huge way. You've probably
heard studies of people who have died from a broken heart. Why? Your heart is
the wellspring of who you are. Without it, we don't live. If it's broken,
literally needing an operation of sorts, or metaphorically after someone hurt
you deeply, it affects us, it interrupts life as we know it. Which is why
Christ stresses how important it is for us to guard it.
Don't put your heart out there in a nonchalant way, like
it's no big deal. This is something I've had to learn myself. People say I wear
my heart on my sleeve, this could be dangerous because you open yourself up to be more vulnerable and your heart unprotected. I've had to train myself to open
up to only certain people, people who have proven to me that my heart is safe
in their hands. To the other people it's okay to open up just don't bear your
soul to them because they haven't earned your trust to where you can be
transparent. Be very careful in choosing who those people you open up to are.
When it comes to the opposite sex, don't give your heart
away too quickly, or without concern. I've made this mistake more than once and
I've learned this the hard way. No guy or girl is worth the pain and heartache
you will experience if you don't guard your heart. I can't stress enough how
important this is! Be mindful and always stand guard over the wellspring of
your life. Jeremiah 17:9 says 'The heart is deceitful above all things and
beyond cure.' This scripture shows us the severity of why guarding your heart
is so important. You need to be able to discern your heart from your flesh.
It's a battle, which is why you need to be on your guard.
Guard it, protect it, watch over it.
No comments:
Post a Comment