“Whoever
sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also
reap generously.” 2 Corinthians 9:6
“If I am sowing wheat in the field, it stands to reason
that the more seed I sow, the greater harvest I will have. Now if I want to be
very careful about how I sow, and just take seeds and toss them out here and
there, then I’m only going to have little wheat shoots here and there. I’m not
going to have much of a harvest. But if I go out and sow just abundantly, then
I’m going to reap an abundant harvest.” Chuck Smith.
The more you give, the more you get, the more God
returns, the greater the harvest. The word “reap” comes from the Greek word ‘therizo’
which means ‘summer harvest’ with reference to bringing Samaritans into the
kingdom of God, in regard to which the disciples would enjoy the fruits of what
Christ has been doing ministering in Samaria. The Greek word ‘eulogeo’ has a couple meanings but in
this case, it comes from the synonym, ‘aineo’ which means to praise; the cause
to prosper; to make happy; to bestow blessings on.
Verses 7 and 8 in the same
chapter go on to say, “Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not
reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is
able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all
things at all times you may abound in every good work.” (ESV)
I have been blessed to see times where my parents didn’t
have much money to spare but they would see a homeless person and be impressed
upon to buy them food. Just this summer my mom and I bought food for a homeless
man and it wasn’t out of selfish ambition or gain, but to give this man food in
his stomach. There are times when we (and I say we because I am guilty of the
same thing) that we just pass homeless people by without realizing that very
easily that could be us. We could be the ones standing on the corner, starving,
in need of food.
I don’t know about you, but wouldn’t you hope someone would
sacrifice $5.00 of their Starbucks for the day so you could eat? Reality check.
Philippians 4:12 is a great reminder of this. I’m quoting out of the Common
English Bible because it gives a great modern way of looking at it. “I know the experience of being in need, and of having
more than enough; I have learned the secret to being content in any and every
circumstance, whether full or hungry, whether having plenty or being poor.”
Wow.
The apostle Paul really did know this. He didn’t have an easy life. In
fact, Paul wrote this letter to the Philippian church to thank them for the gift
they had sent him when they heard of his detention in Rome. He uses this letter to report on how he is doing, but
also to encourage the Philippians to stand firm in persecution, rejoice
regardless of circumstances, and to exhort them to humility and unity. Even in
prison Paul was reaching out to help the Philippian church. I know life can
hand us some crazy cards, but in all this, I encourage you to give out of
yourself in whatever way you see fit. See what God may sow out of it because
you may be really blessed by it.
I was always blessed by watching my parents feed those
homeless people because it was always showing a side of Christ nobody shows
very often. I remember the looks on their faces and that has been imprinted on
my heart. You never know what life is gonna bring, so use it well now, you won’t
regret it.
No comments:
Post a Comment