Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Faith: Believing is Seeing

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." 
- Hebrews 11:1

Faith is a tricky thing. One thing I have learned is Faith isn't easy. Faith has been a reoccurring theme in my life from my late teen years to my late 20's were I am now. You would think after everything I have been through having faith would be like second nature to me. Which is my point on how tricky and difficult it is for anyone. 

When I graduated college seven months ago I thought that my entire life was about to open up and become something I never thought possible. That hasn't really been the case. I have struggled since then trying to find myself and find where God wants me to be. It's been hard to even see what is going on and where this road is going to take me. It has been real discouraging, especially seeing people I graduated with finding their stride and getting things done.  The whole time I'm thinking, 'what am I doing wrong?'. 

It wasn't until recently that I realized, I'm not doing any wrong, I am exactly where God sees me and wants me to be. Yes, it may not be my ideal circumstance, but in these last six or seven months God has provided for me every step of the way. Even when I couldn't see it, He was and is continuing to do so. One of my favorite movie series is Indiana Jones. Classic right? One of my favorite moments in all of the movies is in "Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade". Indy is met with a task of finding the sought after 'Holy Grail' that he can fill with healing water to save his father's life who was shot by the Nazi's who were also in search of it.

He was met with three different obstacles he had to go through. First obstacle, The Breath of God, requires a 'penitent man' to pass where he kneels before God before he gets sliced up by circular blades.  For the second challenge, The Word of God, Indy realizes that he must spell the name of God in order to proceed, taking a misstep he started spelling Jehovah with a J instead of the traditional way of starting it with and I. Now to best part, the Third obstacle. The Path of God. This involves a narrow tunnel that leads out to a ledge overlooking a chasm, with no apparent way to cross over. The riddle tells Indy that he must make a 'leap of faith' so he slowly, and with great trepidation, steps out into the void. To his astonishment his foot lands on something solid, yet he appears to be standing in midair.

And there in lies the amazing task of believing without seeing what is before you.  Indy had no idea that this would be his result, the bigger task was BELIEVING. Faith is all about believing what you can't see. I have no idea what is next for me, I am given the task of believing that God will always lead me down the right path at the right time. It's difficult, yet I couldn't imagine living my life any other way. Yeah it's crazy right? There are times of doubt, anguish, confusion, and down right frustration. 

In the end, faith has become something more to me than I ever thought possible. It has become the theme of my life and I am thankful that God has taken the time to teach me what it is like to truly have faith. Not just in Him, but faith in my relationships with people He has put in my life, faith in where He has me in life and faith for what is to come. He wouldn't take so much time and effort to teach me a staple like Faith if He didn't have use for it somehow. 

So here I stand, in the unknown. But one thing is for certain, I believe life will happen for me when it is supposed to and I know I am right where I need to be right now, and that is a great feeling.

No comments: