Friday, August 30, 2013

Honest Prayer

“For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.” 1 Corinthians 14:14-15

I will pray with my spirit but I will also pray with my mind. This says to me that I should be praying more in the spirit with my mind open to the Lord. I will be the first to say and admit that I don’t have a great prayer life. Not one that people would probably, maybe expect. I feel it’s something that God wants to awaken within me. I’ve grown up watching my Mom battle the spirit realm. I can still hear her “I will shake my fist in the face of the enemy and I’m gonna praise the Lord!” I still see her pacing around the house praying and saying that over and over again for hours! I am no stranger to the power of prayer. I know God is willing and able to do above and beyond what I can even imagine. One thing I had forgotten is that He loves the prayers of his people. The book of Psalms is a book entirely about David praying and crying out to God. In the midst of his struggles, uncertainty, pain, anguish and even praises God in the victories however small or big they were.

“Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him (them, anyone) You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.” Psalm 32:6-7

“But I call to God, and the Lord saves me.” Psalm 55:16

“I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer. Praise be to God who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!” Psalm 66:17-20

These are just a little taste of the impact prayer can have in someone’s life. We all should try and make a point to pray to God. Spiritual warfare is such a real thing in the lives of believers and even in non-believers. The enemy can take the smallest thing and twist, skew and without you knowing it he becomes lord over it instead of Christ. Even if it’s just a little prayer like Psalm 55. Call out to him because He will save you. I know this was a great reminder for me, I hope it was for you as well. 



No comments: