Monday, November 4, 2013

Forget The Past, Focus on the Future


"No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: FORGETTING the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." 
Philippians 3:13-14 (New Living Translation) 

A year or so ago, in my Bible after this scripture I wrote that this was my life scripture. Throughout my life journey there are parts of it that have held me down and, at times kept me from living. I had to get to a point where I didn't let my past dictate who I am today and who God has called me to be. It wasn't an easy thing and it's a strenuous process, but I am so glad it happened.

I had to realize that those parts of my past have helped me become the woman I am today, but you need to let it go and let the past be the past. You need to LEAVE it there. If you are always living in to the past you will not be able to look forward to the future that God has for you. It's hard to let go of the past and some part of it you won't forget completely. I think Paul (the writer of this book) was talking more about letting go of what is in your past and walking forward. 

Your past can easily become your own prison of sorts if you live and dwell on it constantly. You become enslaved to your past, and we don't have to live in bondage anymore. Jesus Christ conquered our bondage when he died on the cross. We can live in freedom, but it's up to us to embrace that freedom or let ourselves become captives by our past. Christ promises us a future of hope and prosperity. (Jeremiah 29:11) 

So if I can encourage you in any way it would be to say, start letting go of the past and look forward at the amazing future we have promised for us. Life can only get better from here, but it's your choice. Choose to be a conqueror, not a slave to your past. 


No comments: